DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT & PUBLIC ENLIGHTENMENT
UBEKU F. E. (HEAD)
The Department has the following responsibilities:
• Mobilising and sensitising Communities for self-help and development projects.
• Understanding the culture of Communities and promoting same to State, National and International standards.
• Promoting tourism to State, National and International standards.
The Department is divided into three (3) Divisions as follows:
(i) Community Development
(ii) Culture and Tourism
(iii) Public Enlightenment
FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
• Mobilising and Sensitising Communities in identifying priority Community Development Project(s) for implementation.
• Conducting enquiries into social and cultural factors affecting the execution of Community Development Projects in the Commission’s area of operation.
• Advising on Community Development matters.
• Conducting enlightenment programmes on the activities of the DESOPADEC through Bill Boards, Town Criers and Town Hall meetings.
• Supervising the planning and production of technical literature and publicity materials on Community development.
• Carrying out research into cultural festivals in the commission’s mandate areas.
• Gathering materials for background history of each cultural group and its people within the mandate areas aimed at fostering the culture, traditions and festivals of the people.
• Updating existing cultural events within the communities in the Commission’s mandate areas.
• Production and Distribution of DESOPADEC Calendars, Diaries, Posters and Quarterly Magazines.
• Arranging Town Hall meetings.
• Liaising with host community leaders to ascertain the role the commission should play to assist them to showcase their cultural events and the need for their involvement in peace engineering within and beyond the Commission’s mandate areas.
• To identify landmark places of interest that can be developed into potential tourism sites in the oil producing areas of the state.